Friday, March 31, 2006

Car Accident

So I posted yesterday that I hit someone with my van yesterday. It was in a parking lot, they were not even in the car when I hit it. I waited there for a quarter of an hour, because I wanted to speak to them rather than just leave a note. I felt so bad about it. After they came out of the store I explained to them that I had hit their car. I apologized profusely and generally begged their forgiveness. There did not appear to be much/any damage aside from a minor scratch, but I still felt really bad. I told them that if it wasn't going to be much money I would be happy to write a check to avoid reporting it to my insurance. I figured at the most it would be a few hundred dollars for the scratch which was barely visible. There was also another dent in the car farther up on the side, not where I hit them. Most likely from a previous accident it was an older car.

I called my insurance, to see what I needed to do if they needed to make a claim, while I was still in the parking lot. I told them exactly what happened. The person I hit called me about 1 hour and a half later. They told me they had gotten not one but two estimates that were within $20 of each other. They said it would be $1300. to fix their car. I was taken aback. (two estimates within two hours twenty dollars apare for $1300? ) What part of this sounds unbelieveable to you? I told her in that case she should go ahead and file a claim with my insurance.

This morning the spouse of this person calls and says that he doesn't see any damage and they don't want to pursue a claim!

This person totally tried to scam me. Honestly if they had not been so greedy and kept it under $500, I probably would have written them a check. What a horrible world we live in.

1 comment:

English Professor said...

Oh, bummer! What a bunch of jerks. I am amazed that you actually waited for them--even people who hit me while I'm in the car tend to drive off. But they'll get theirs--people like that do. Glad you're okay.