Saturday, March 25, 2006

The funniest cartoon

Bruce sent this along to me, I thought it was hilarious. http://minimumsecurity.net/toons2006/6034.htm

The main problem I have with outlawing abortion has to do with women and self-determination. How can you force someone to be pregnant for 9 months and then have a baby? I find abortion really hard to stomach and don't think I could ever choose it for myself, but I find the thought of the government interfering with something so personal even more repugnant. Needless to say, I am boycotting South Dakota (I know I am giving up a lot here *snort*).

2 comments:

Steve said...

I think the crux of the anti-Roe crowd's argument stems primarily from the nationalizing of what many consider to be a state issue. The focus would shift from the Supreme Court to the various state courts and legislatures if there was an overturning of Roe. I mention this because there can be little doubt that that was the intent of the legislation.

Bellejar said...

I think honestly, the areas that would outlaw abortion have already done so in many ways. In Georgia, there were no abortion providers anywhere in the state besides Atlanta. I understand many southern states are like this, people picketed several of the outlying providers in GA so badly that they left the areas. I think NARAL did a study which said in so many words that not much would really change in practice if Roe was overturned. Those areas where the most abortions happen would still have legal abortions under state laws.