Thursday, February 23, 2006

Who Do You Sue?

Alright, here it is. The most bizarre death I have heard of lately.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060222/od_nm/singapore_guitar_dc;_ylt=AuqEgAwdR8d6hWSh3N1mfPms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc

I remember very distinctly while I was in law school, I became desensitized to most deaths. I remember one case about some alcoholics that were in a rehab facility who broke into the office and drank ditto fluid mixed with tang. Needless to say one of them died and one when blind, and the other was severely injured. I could not stop giggling because they called it the "Ditto-tang" solution. The family of the decedent and the two others sued and won by the way.

Today I heard on the radio that a 25 year old fell to his death climbing out of an elevator at a new $500 million complex. I thought to myself WOW there is a lawsuit coming and who will they sue. Then I started wondering what he was employed at because that will determine in part the amount of actual damages in the case.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Wow. Would they sue the owners of the building? Would they join the company that installed the elevator? If the company was insolvent, would they be able to sue the members (or partners) individually?

Was there a standard of care that was breached, or was it something that just happened?

I'll put my money on a settlement with the owners of the building.

Bookfraud said...

not to steer off the legal conversation, but the poor kid falling out of the window -- don't know to laugh or cry. ditto-tang and out.

Bellejar said...

Steve my guess is the manufacturer and the owners of the complex. Apparently you are not supposed to be able to open the doors of an elevator without the fire key! OOps. Because of the money in this one, I expect a big fat public suit and settlement.

English Professor said...

"death by misadventure"--that one cracked me up. Wouldn't that cover most deaths between the ages of 15 and 30?

It is sad, of course. It's also somewhat Darwinian.