Monday, March 19, 2007

Sorry for the silence

Sorry I haven't posted in a long while. As many of you know my mother-in-law has been very ill for the last few years. I have been in Harpers Ferry, WV for the last month. Bruce's mother Dorlyn is on hospice at this point and sleeping most of the day. It is really hearwrenching to see someone slowly die of cancer. So far in my life I have watched two people wither from cancer. There is good along with the bad. You get to say I love you and all those things you don't say until you know its the end. You were a great friend/mom/brother/sister. I'll miss you. You get a chance to process what is happening, warning that death is impending. It doesn't make it any less horrible, but maybe a little more palatable than a sudden death where you are just deprived of a persons presence suddenly without warning or closure. Anyway, we will be back in Washington the 4th of April, until then, we are just hanging out, spending what time we can with my mom-in-law, father-in-law and my parents.

1 comment:

yerdoingitwrong said...

oh wow. I'm so sorry you guys have to go through all of this again. But, you're right. There is something about the gift of a long goodbye. At least you get to tell her over and over how much she's treasured. Take care of yourself, your hubby and your beautiful girls. Thinking of you guys. xo. Give me a shout when you return. let's get together!!