Thursday, January 26, 2006

Student Loans - The American Way

So many people I know live pay-check-to-paycheck. It isn't who you'd think it be. These are young professionals in their thirties. Most have had substantial student loans and a mix of credit card expenditures on grocery bills and course books. It's amazing how this kind of debt can be debilitating. I saw this article in the PI today and identified with it immediately.

My requirements for law school: Good (in the top tier 50 schools) and cheap (under 15k a year). I ended up at University of Georgia, where after paying out of state tuition for one year, I got instate tuition. For about $5k a year I completed my law degree. I became a visiting student at a private school in Seattle where I paid 10K for one semester. Actually my employed husband paid it for me. It is easy to see how student loan debt could become unmanageable very easily.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/257094_studentloandebt26.html

2 comments:

English Professor said...

"Driven by . . . easier access to funds"--touche. This was a scary article. Your nearby state college might start looking better and better--leaving school with that kind of debt is a nightmare.

Bellejar said...

I read in the Seattle Post this morning that WA is starting a pilot program that will pay for two years of community college for low income individuals so basically k-14 education. They are talking about then expanding the program to cover all. Georgia had an extremely sucessful program called the HOPE scholarship program that allowed any B or better student to attend any state school sans tuition and with a stipend for books. Socialized education may be creeping into our midsts due to rising education costs.