Sunday, December 11, 2005

"New" house

I was reading a blog post I did right after moving into our "new house" which was about a year ago now.

http://legaljargon.blogspot.com/2004/11/new-house.html

I thought I would remark on the year and our house at this point. We have been here a year now, and I still love the house. We have done quite a bit now. We painted the cabinets in the kitchen. Oddly that was the day I found out I was pregnant with Violet. I had started getting sick, and couldn't understand why.

We changed out at least five light fixtures. We have recarpeted and laid vinyl tile in the kitchen. Put in new counter tops. My husband painted my kitchen a peach color for me. I had never had nonwhite walls before. We put cat in the hat stickers on the walls and painted diamonds in Lucy's room. In Violet's room we painted it blue and stenciled yellow stars. She has a Sesame Street theme.

We also got three estimates and had the house painted grey this summer. The color was called software. Oh the irony! Now I am getting estimates to tear out the deck and put in a patio with pavers in the back. I am excited still. Eventually, I will redo the bathrooms and kitchen.

Bruce has been working on cleaning out the garage now, for extra storage. It has been a fun year. Also, housing costs have gone up probably 20% since we bought. We wouldn't be able to afford this house now. I am so glad we bought when we did.

1 comment:

English Professor said...

Timing is everything, as they say. Glad you bought at the right time!

We've always been white-wall people, but once we took the plunge with color in one room, we were hooked. The study is now deep red, and it's my favorite room of the house. (Except for the clutter, of course.) :-)