Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Minivan or SUV that is the question

We are expecting a second child in August and now are thinking we need to upgrade to a bigger car. My jetta is packed with one child and a stroller - two children and a double stroller are not going to happen. I have to say I am much more inclined by nature to shop for a minivan. I cannot bring myself to even think about owning an SUV. However, Ford is introducing a hybrid Escape this summer an SUV that gets 40 mpg. That is better than my Jetta, which hasn't been bad at 35. Also apparently Toyota has a hybrid minivan they released in Japan in 2001. If I could guarentee that would be here soon I might hold off on the inevitable purchase of a new care. The Escape holds a certain appeal. The MSRP is around $26,000. That is not much more than most new cars these days and I would be doing my part to end american dependence on foreign oil.... there might even be a tax credit..
I will post again when we have decided what to do.

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

The minivan is designed more with parents in mind -- the flexible seats, automatically opening doors, collapsing trunk, etc., work well for a parent's day-to-day life shlepping small children. Indeed, many of my neighbors, who bought SUVs when their children were infants, have now shifted to minivans.

However, having said that, if you're a family that likes to hit the road and get out to the wilderness, I guess the SUV would be the most practical, serving both family and camping needs.

(I do agree, though -- current minivans get lousy mileage. About 20-22 on the freeway.)

Bellejar said...

Thanks for the input! I am pretty sure we are going to go for a mini-van at this point - now it is just a matter of waiting for the right deal to come along. The prospect of spending more than $15k on an asset that will only depreciate is very unsettling to me.